How do I withdraw from a class for which I had previously registered?
- Before the last day to drop: You should be able to drop a course online on your myNMSU account before the deadline to drop a course for the semester. If your myNMSU will not allow you to drop the course, you will need to bring an add/drop slip with all necessary signatures to Graduate Student Services and our staff can assist you with dropping the class. If you drop a class before this deadline, the class will not appear on your transcript.
- After the last day to drop: You will need to bring an add/drop slip with all necessary signatures to Graduate Student Services and our staff can assist you with dropping the class. If you drop a class after this deadline, the class will appear on your transcript with a "W" for withdrawn.
How do I withdraw from all of my classes for the semester?
To withdraw from all of your classes, you will need to go to the Registrar's Office (575 646-3411) to get a Withdrawal Form. This form requires all applicable signatures, and is turned in to the Registrar's office for processing. Graduate Student Services will receive a copy of the form and place it in your file. If you do not officially withdraw from your courses, you will receive failing grades in those courses which will be recorded on your transcript.
What if I need a leave of absence from graduate school?
If you are planning an interruption in your studies for a calendar year, you need to address a request for leave of absence through your department head, alerting the dean of the Graduate School. The request should include the beginning date and the anticipated ending date for the period of absence. A graduate student on leave of absence will be expected not to use university facilities and place no demands upon the university faculty and staff, and, therefore will pay no fees. Time spent in leave-of-absence status will not be counted toward time limits.
Please note: If you are a Distance Education student and need assistance with add/drops, withdrawals, or a leave of absence, contact your department or the Distance Education office.
- NMSU Student Affairs & Enrollment Management: University Admissions
- (575) 646-2736
- Educational Services Building, Suite G
- MSC 3G / P.O. Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001