All international applicants are required to submit an official and current TOEFL or IELTS score report, with the following exceptions:
- Applicants from an English-speaking country and have an educational background in an English-speaking school system;
- Applicants transferring from an approved U.S. institution with 30 or more credit hours and acceptable GPA;
- Applicants with a degree from an accredited English-language university in the U.S. or another English-speaking country or a diploma from a U.S. high school; or
- Applicants demonstrating English-language proficiency using methods approved by University Admissions, including completion of an ESL program.
The required TOEFL scores for regular NMSU admission:
- 68 on the iBT or 520 on the paper-based test for applicants to undergraduate degree programs.
- 79 on the iBT or 550 on the paper-based test for applicants to graduate degree programs**
**Academic departments reserve the right to require higher TOEFL/IELTS standards.
The required IELTS scores for regular NMSU admission:
- 6.0 overall for undergraduate applicants.
- 6.5 for graduate applicants.
Applicants may be admitted with scores lower than those listed above and in such cases would be tentative or conditional depending on the TOELF or IELTS score.
- NMSU Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management: International Student Services
- (575) 646-2736
- Educational Services Building, Suite 8
- MSC 3G / P.O. Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003-8001